NO Reduction to N2O Improves Nitrate 15N Abundance Analysis by Membrane Inlet Quadrupole Mass Spectrometry
- Wolfram Eschenbach*
- Reinhard WellReinhard WellThünen-Institut of Climate-Smart Agriculture, Bundesallee 50, 38116 Braunschweig, GermanyMore by Reinhard Well
- , and
- Jens DyckmansJens DyckmansCentre for Stable Isotope Research and Analysis, University of Göttingen, 37077 Göttingen, GermanyMore by Jens Dyckmans
Earlier an automated sample preparation unit for inorganic nitrogen (SPIN) coupled to a membrane inlet quadrupole mass spectrometer (MIMS) was developed for automated and sensitive determination of the 15N abundances and concentrations of nitrate, nitrite and ammonium of aqueous solutions without any sample preparation. Here we describe an alternative analytical protocol to convert NO3– to N2O instead of NO before measurement. This is advantageous because NO strongly interacts with surfaces, requires long purge times, and still shows considerable carryover between samples, all of which is avoided when N2O is used as analyte. The sensitivity of the measurement of NO3– as N2O is comparable to the earlier measurements with NO as analyte.
This article is cited by 7 publications.
- Caroline Buchen-Tschiskale, Reinhard Well, Heinz Flessa. Tracing nitrogen transformations during spring development of winter wheat induced by 15N labeled cattle slurry applied with different techniques. Science of The Total Environment 2023, 871 , 162061. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2023.162061
- Mengru Jia, Roland Bol, Annemieke Kooijman, Wim W. Wessel, Albert Tietema. A decision support tool for the selection of 15 N analysis methods of ammonium and nitrate. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 2023, 125 (2) , 309-343. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10705-022-10227-z
- Björn Kemmann, Lena Wöhl, Roland Fuß, Stefan Schrader, Reinhard Well, Thorsten Ruf. N 2 and N 2 O mitigation potential of replacing maize with the perennial biomass crop Silphium perfoliatum —An incubation study. GCB Bioenergy 2021, 13 (10) , 1649-1665. https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12879
- Xianbiao Lin, Kaijun Lu, Amber K. Hardison, Zhanfei Liu, Xin Xu, Dengzhou Gao, Jun Gong, Wayne S. Gardner. Membrane inlet mass spectrometry method (REOX/MIMS) to measure 15N-nitrate in isotope-enrichment experiments. Ecological Indicators 2021, 126 , 107639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2021.107639
- Jens Dyckmans, Wolfram Eschenbach, Reinhard Langel, Lars Szwec, Reinhard Well. Nitrogen isotope analysis of aqueous ammonium and nitrate by membrane inlet isotope ratio mass spectrometry (MIRMS) at natural abundance levels. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 2021, 35 (10) https://doi.org/10.1002/rcm.9077
- Pauline Sophie Rummel, Reinhard Well, Birgit Pfeiffer, Klaus Dittert, Sebastian Floßmann, Johanna Pausch. Nitrate uptake and carbon exudation – do plant roots stimulate or inhibit denitrification?. Plant and Soil 2021, 459 (1-2) , 217-233. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-020-04750-7
- Wenyan Shi, Xinqiong Lu, Jinbo Zhang, Jianhong Zhao, Lili Yang, Quan Yu, Xiaohao Wang. Comparison of Membrane Inlet and Capillary Introduction Miniature Mass Spectrometry for Liquid Analysis. Polymers 2019, 11 (3) , 567. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym11030567