Residue-Specific Conformational Heterogeneity of Proline-Rich Sequences Uncovered via Infrared Spectroscopy
- Gregory S. BukowskiGregory S. BukowskiDepartment of Chemistry, Indiana University, 800 East Kirkwood, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, United StatesMore by Gregory S. Bukowski
- Megan C. Thielges*
Conformational heterogeneity is critical to understanding protein function but challenging to quantify. Experimental approaches that can provide sufficient temporal and spatial resolution to measure even rapidly interconverting states at specific locations in proteins are needed to fully elucidate the contribution of conformational heterogeneity and dynamics to function. Infrared spectroscopy in combination with the introduction of carbon deuterium bonds, which provide frequency-resolved probes of their environments, can uncover rapidly interconverting states with residue-specific detail. Using this approach, we quantify conformational heterogeneity of proline-rich peptides associated with different proline backbone conformations, as well as reveal their dependence on the sequence context.
This article is cited by 5 publications.
- Carlos R. Baiz, Bartosz Błasiak, Jens Bredenbeck, Minhaeng Cho, Jun-Ho Choi, Steven A. Corcelli, Arend G. Dijkstra, Chi-Jui Feng, Sean Garrett-Roe, Nien-Hui Ge, Magnus W. D. Hanson-Heine, Jonathan D. Hirst, Thomas L. C. Jansen, Kijeong Kwac, Kevin J. Kubarych, Casey H. Londergan, Hiroaki Maekawa, Mike Reppert, Shinji Saito, Santanu Roy, James L. Skinner, Gerhard Stock, John E. Straub, Megan C. Thielges, Keisuke Tominaga, Andrei Tokmakoff, Hajime Torii, Lu Wang, Lauren J. Webb, Martin T. Zanni. Vibrational Spectroscopic Map, Vibrational Spectroscopy, and Intermolecular Interaction. Chemical Reviews 2020, 120
, 7152-7218. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.9b00813
S. Bukowski, Rachel E. Horness, Megan C. Thielges. Involvement of Local, Rapid Conformational Dynamics in Binding of Flexible Recognition Motifs. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2019, 123
, 8387-8396. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.9b07036
- Sashary Ramos, Megan C. Thielges. Site-Specific 1D and 2D IR Spectroscopy to Characterize the Conformations and Dynamics of Protein Molecular Recognition. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2019, 123
, 3551-3566. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.9b00969
- Nilimesh Das, Tanmoy Khan, Pratik Sen. The shift of excitation spectra at blue edge of emission (BEEmS) as a new methodology to probe heterogeneity. Chemical Physics 2024, 577 , 112138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemphys.2023.112138
- Yang Cong, Yu Zhai, Jitai Yang, Adam Grofe, Jiali Gao, Hui Li. Quantum vibration perturbation approach with polyatomic probe in simulating infrared spectra. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2022, 24
, 1174-1182. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1CP04490G