Comparative Experimental and Theoretical Study of the C and O K-Edge X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy in Three Highly Popular, Low Spin Organoiron Complexes: [Fe(CO)5], [(η5-C5H5)Fe(CO)(μ-CO)]2, and [(η5-C5H5)2Fe]
- Silvia Carlotto*
- Paola FinettiPaola FinettiDipartimento di Scienze e Metodi dell’Ingegneria, Università di Modena, Via Università 4, 41121 Modena, ItalyMore by Paola Finetti
- Monica de SimoneMonica de SimoneCNR−IOM, Strada Statale 14 Basovizza, 34149 Trieste, ItalyMore by Monica de Simone
- Marcello Coreno
- Girolamo Casella
- Mauro Sambi
- , and
- Maurizio Casarin*
The unoccupied electronic structures of three closed-shell, highly popular organoiron complexes ([Fe(CO)5], [(η5-C5H5)Fe(CO)(μ-CO)]2, and [(η5-C5H5)2Fe]; 0, I, and II, respectively) have been investigated both experimentally and theoretically by combining original gas-phase X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) outcomes recorded at the C and O K-edge with results of scalar relativistic time-dependent density functional calculations carried out within the zeroth order regular approximation. Experimental evidence herein discussed complement the Fe L2,3-edges XAS ones we recently recorded, modeled, and assigned for the same complexes (Carlotto et al. Inorg. Chem. 2019, 58, 5844). The first-principle simulation of the C and O K-edge features allowed us to univocally identify the electronic states associated to the ligand-to-metal charge transfer (LMCT) transitions both in I and in II. At variance to that, LMCT transitions with sizable oscillator strengths do not play any role in determining neither the C nor the O K-edge spectral pattern of 0. The higher π-acceptor capability of the CO ligand, regardless of its terminal or bridging coordination, with respect to [(η5-C5H5)]− is herein ultimately confirmed.
This article is cited by 5 publications.
- Girolamo Casella, Silvia Carlotto, Leonardo Belpassi, Mauro Sambi, Maurizio Casarin. Donation and back-donation in cis- and trans-[(η5-C5H5)Fe(η1-CO)(μ-CO)]2 tautomers: Which relative is more generous? An ETS-NOCV bond analysis. Inorganica Chimica Acta 2022, 536 , 120897. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ica.2022.120897
- Silvia Carlotto, Girolamo Casella, Mauro Sambi, Maurizio Casarin. cis -[(η 5 -C 5 H 5 )Fe(η 1 -CO)(μ-CO)] 2 , the poor relative between cis and trans tautomers. A theoretical study of the gas-phase Fe L 3 -edge and C and O K-edge XAS of trans -/ cis -[(η 5 -C 5 H 5 )Fe(η 1 -CO)(μ-CO)] 2. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2021, 23 (43) , 24661-24668. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1CP04105C
- Gerui Pei, Cong-Cong Shu, Mengyang Li, Zhong-Ming Sun, Tao Yang. Electronic structures and properties of dianionic pentacarbonyls [TM(CO) 5 ] 2− (TM = Cr, Mo, W). Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2021, 23 (34) , 18640-18646. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1CP01592C
- Silvia Carlotto, Mauro Sambi, Francesco Sedona, Andrea Vittadini, Maurizio Casarin. A Theoretical Study of the Occupied and Unoccupied Electronic Structure of High- and Intermediate-Spin Transition Metal Phthalocyaninato (Pc) Complexes: VPc, CrPc, MnPc, and FePc. Nanomaterials 2021, 11 (1) , 54. https://doi.org/10.3390/nano11010054
- Silvia Carlotto, Elaheh Mohebbi, Francesco Sedona, Matteo Lo Cicero, Luciano Colazzo, Carlo Mariani, Maria Grazia Betti, Mauro Sambi, Maurizio Casarin. An experimental and theoretical study of metallorganic coordination networks of tetrahydroxyquinone on Cu(111). New Journal of Chemistry 2019, 43 (48) , 19186-19192. https://doi.org/10.1039/C9NJ04884G