The Volumetric Properties of Carbonyl Sulfide and Carbon Dioxide Mixtures from T = 322 to 393 K and p = 2.5 to 35 MPa: Application to COS Hydrolysis in Subsurface Injectate Streams
This work describes an exploration of high-pressure acid gas chemical equilibria in CO2 rich fluids aimed at subsurface injection for acid gas reinjection, carbon sequestration, or enhanced oil recovery. To develop the capability to calculate both physical and chemical equilibria involving COS under high-pressure injectate conditions, we have measured the density changes associated with mixing COS (1) and CO2 (2) at temperatures between T = 322.91 and 393.25 K and up to p = 35 MPa. These density differences were used to calculate apparent molar volumes for COS, which were used to calibrate binary mixing parameters for high-accuracy reduced Helmholtz energy equations-of-state (γν,12 = 1.0496 and γT,12 = 0.94085). The new mixing parameters were shown to reproduce low-temperature p–x phase behavior measurements reported in the literature. The optimized mixing parameters were then applied in a Gibbs Energy Minimization (GEM) routine to find the enthalpy of formation for COS from literature equilibrium measurements at atmospheric conditions (ΔfH298.15K,0.1 MPa (COS) = 141.744 ± 0.803 kJ mol–1). The same GEM routine was used to explore the reaction of acid gases at applicable high-pressures. Results showed a decreased reaction of H2S + CO2 at low-temperature and low-pressure, that is, COS hydrolysis is less favorable at high-pressure.
This article is cited by 13 publications.
- Jiali Zhang, Dapeng Li, Yujing Weng, Qi Sun, Sebastien A. Duval, Rashid M. Al Othman, George P. Lithoxoos, Yulong Zhang. Performance Assessment of Molecular Sieves for Sulfur Recovery Unit Tail Gas Treating. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2023, 62 (3) , 1499-1507. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.2c02712
- Jerry A. Commodore, Connor E. Deering, Francis Bernard, Robert A. Marriott. High-Pressure Densities and Excess Molar Volumes for the Binary Mixture of Carbon Dioxide and Hydrogen Sulfide at T = 343–397 K. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 2021, 66 (11) , 4236-4247. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.1c00446
- Seungwook Lee, Connor E. Deering, Mitchell J. Stashick, Nancy Chou, Robert A. Marriott. Experimental High-Pressure Hydrogen Sulfide Partial Oxidation and Equilibrium Calculation by Gibbs Energy Minimization. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2020, 59 (45) , 19890-19896. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.0c04465
- Jerry A. Commodore, Connor E. Deering, Robert A. Marriott. High-Pressure Volumetric Properties of Carbon Disulfide, Carbonyl Sulfide, and Hydrogen Sulfide in Propane. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 2020, 65 (9) , 4621-4631. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.0c00471
- Kyle G. Wynnyk, Behnaz Hojjati, Robert A. Marriott. Sour Gas and Water Adsorption on Common High-Pressure Desiccant Materials: Zeolite 3A, Zeolite 4A, and Silica Gel. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 2019, 64 (7) , 3156-3163. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.9b00233
- Kyle G. Wynnyk, Behnaz Hojjati, Robert A. Marriott. High-Pressure Sour Gas and Water Adsorption on Zeolite 13X. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2018, 57 (45) , 15357-15365. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.8b03317
- John H. Jacobs, Nancy Chou, Kaylan H. McKelvie, Jerry A. Commodore, Ruohong Sui, Kevin L. Lesage, Kyle G. Wynnyk, Ye Xiao, Mark C. Biesinger, Josephine M. Hill, Robert A. Marriott. Screening activated carbons produced from recycled petroleum coke for acid gas separation. Carbon Trends 2023, 10 , 100243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cartre.2022.100243
- Rohen Prinsloo, Christopher B. Lavery, Robert A. Marriott. Liquid-phase sulfur recovery within a eutectic solvent coupled with low temperature carbon disulfide hydrolysis. Fuel 2021, 306 , 121689. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2021.121689
- Hailong Li, Beibei Dong, Zhixin Yu, Jinyue Yan, Kai Zhu. Thermo-physical properties of CO2 mixtures and their impacts on CO2 capture, transport and storage: Progress since 2011. Applied Energy 2019, 255 , 113789. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.113789
- JA Commodore, CE Deering, RA Marriott. Densities and Phase Behavior Involving Dense‐Phase Propane Impurities. 2019, 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119510079.ch5
- S Lee, RA Marriott. High Pressure H 2 S Oxidation in CO 2. 2019, 91-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119510079.ch7
- Jerry A. Commodore, Connor E. Deering, Robert A. Marriott. Volumetric properties and phase behavior of sulfur dioxide, carbon disulfide and oxygen in high-pressure carbon dioxide fluid. Fluid Phase Equilibria 2018, 477 , 30-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fluid.2018.08.012
- J.A. Commodore, C.E. Deering, R.A. Marriott. Phase Behavior and Reaction Thermodynamics Involving Dense‐Phase CO 2 Impurities. 2017, 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118938706.ch3