Comprehensive Thermochemical Study of Cyclic Five- and Six-Membered N,N′-Thioureas
An experimental and computational study of the thermochemical and structural properties of ethylenethiourea (ETU) has been carried out. The enthalpies of combustion and sublimation, measured respectively by rotating-bomb combustion calorimetry and Calvet microcalorimetry, yielded the gas-phase enthalpy of formation of ETU at T = 298.15 K. This latter parameter was also derived from high-level molecular orbital calculations at the G3(MP2)//B3LYP level of theory, leading to a value in excellent agreement with the one obtained from experimental data. With the purpose of evaluating the influence of the ring size in the enthalpy of formation of cyclic N,N′-thiourea derivatives, the calculation of the enthalpy of formation of N,N′-trimethylenethiourea (MTU) was performed using the G3(MP2)//B3LYP approach. The effects of substituents (carbonyl and thiocarbonyl) on the molecular stability of several N-alkyl (cyclic) ureas/thioureas were also studied.
This article is cited by 6 publications.
- Eugene Paulechka, Andrei Kazakov. Efficient Ab Initio Estimation of Formation Enthalpies for Organic Compounds: Extension to Sulfur and Critical Evaluation of Experimental Data. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2021, 125 (36) , 8116-8131. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpca.1c05882
- Mateo Alajarin, Carmen Lopez-Leonardo, Raul-Angel Orenes, Aurelia Pastor, Pilar Sanchez-Andrada, Angel Vidal. Exploring the Conversion of Macrocyclic 2,2′-Biaryl Bis(thioureas) into Cyclic Monothioureas: An Experimental and Computational Investigation. The Journal of Organic Chemistry 2018, 83 (22) , 14022-14035. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.joc.8b02496
- William Acree, James S. Chickos. Phase Transition Enthalpy Measurements of Organic Compounds. An Update of Sublimation, Vaporization, and Fusion Enthalpies from 2016 to 2021. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data 2022, 51 (4) https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0081916
- Rudolf Naef, William E. Acree. Revision and Extension of a Generally Applicable Group-Additivity Method for the Calculation of the Standard Heat of Combustion and Formation of Organic Molecules. Molecules 2021, 26 (20) , 6101. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26206101
- Vera L.S. Freitas, Maria D.M.C. Ribeiro da Silva. Thermodynamic properties of ε-caprolactam and ε-caprothiolactam. The Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics 2019, 132 , 451-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jct.2019.01.014
- Rudolf Naef, William Acree. Calculation of Five Thermodynamic Molecular Descriptors by Means of a General Computer Algorithm Based on the Group-Additivity Method: Standard Enthalpies of Vaporization, Sublimation and Solvation, and Entropy of Fusion of Ordinary Organic Molecules and Total Phase-Change Entropy of Liquid Crystals. Molecules 2017, 22 (7) , 1059. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22071059