Effect of Solvent Cation Alkyl-Chain Length on the Separation of Butylbenzene from n-Tetradecane Using Hexafluorophosphate-Based Ionic Liquids at (313.15 and 333.15) K and 101.3 kPa
- Khaled Al-KhaldiKhaled Al-KhaldiChemical Engineering Department, College of Technological Studies, Public Authority for Applied Education and Training (PAAET), P.O. Box 42325, Shuwaikh 70654, State of KuwaitMore by Khaled Al-Khaldi
- Adel S. Al-Jimaz
- , and
- Mohammad S. AlTuwaim*
The extraction of butylbenzene from n-tetradecane using three ionic solvents ([bmim][PF6], [hmim][PF6], and [omim][PF6]) was studied at two temperatures (313.15 and 333.15 K) and under atmospheric pressure (101.3 kPa). Experimentally determined distribution coefficients (K) and solvent selectivities (S) were plotted against the mole fraction of butylbenzene in the solvent phase; improved results were obtained compared to the conventional solvent, sulfolane. The distribution coefficient and selectivity both increased with increasing alkyl chain length of the 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium moiety of the solvent cation. The universal quasichemical model was satisfactorily applied for correlating the experimental liquid–liquid equilibrium data of all three systems. Furthermore, comparison with literature results revealed that the distribution coefficients decreased with increasing paraffin carbon number.
This article is cited by 5 publications.
- Mohammad S. AlTuwaim, Khaled H. A. E. Alkhaldi, Adel S. Al-Jimaz, Khaled M. Alanezi. Separation of Alkylbenzenes from n-Heptane Using Binary Mixtures of Ionic Solvents. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 2019, 64
, 1187-1194. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.8b01100
- Junjun Shi, Xiaojia Wu, Guojia Yu, Lei Xi, Hu Zou, Wei Wu, Zhiyong Zhou, Zhongqi Ren. Study of aromatic extraction from light cycle oil from the viewpoint of industrial applications. Fuel 2024, 357 , 130023. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2023.130023
- Hui Yu, Xiaojia Wu, Chuanqi Geng, Xinyu Li, Chencan Du, Zhiyong Zhou, Zhongqi Ren. Highly selective extraction of aromatics from aliphatics by using metal chloride-based ionic liquids. Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering 2023, 66 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjche.2023.09.004
- Adel F. Alenzi, Khaled H.A.E. Alkhaldi, Adel S. Al-Jimaz, Mohammad S. AlTuwaim. Liquid-Liquid equilibria of ternary mixtures of alkane (C8 or C12) + thiophene + three methylimidazolium dicyanamide (DCA)-based ionic liquids. Chemical Thermodynamics and Thermal Analysis 2023, 10 , 100112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctta.2023.100112
- Hui Yu, Xinyu Li, Chuanqi Geng, Xiaojia Wu, Fan Zhang, Shichao Tian, Zhiyong Zhou, Zhongqi Ren. Low-cost N-methylpyrrolidone-based coordinated ionic liquids as extractants for separating aromatics from aliphatics. Separation and Purification Technology 2022, 302 , 122149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2022.122149