Optically Tunable Plasmonic Two-Dimensional Ag Quantum Dot Arrays for Optimal Light Absorption in Polymer Solar Cells
The application of localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) phenomena is an effective strategy to enhance the performance of polymer solar cells (PSCs) because of their ability to efficiently scatter light and dramatically increase light absorption in the active layer of PSCs. Unlike previous reports investigating LSPR materials in PSCs, we have approached the LSPR phenomenon from a physical perspective by examining the influence of the surrounding environment on LSPR properties. Uniformly ordered two-dimensional 10 nm Ag quantum dot arrays (2D Ag QAs) were prepared and utilized in PSCs. The 2D Ag QAs were incorporated into electron transport layers with different refractive indices, which showed a significant bathochromic shift as the refractive index increased and excellent agreement with theoretical calculations taking intrinsic size effects, nonlocal response, and plasmon coupling effects into account. When incorporated into PSCs, power conversion efficiencies of up to 8.51% were realized—a 12.5% enhancement compared to devices without Ag QAs.
This article is cited by 9 publications.
- Bin Ai, Ziwei Fan, Zi Jing Wong. Plasmonic–perovskite solar cells, light emitters, and sensors. Microsystems & Nanoengineering 2022, 8
- Adam R. Tetreault, Minh-Trung Dang, Timothy P. Bender. PTB7 and PTB7-Th as universal polymers to evaluate materials development aspects of organic solar cells including interfacial layers, new fullerenes, and non-fullerene electron acceptors. Synthetic Metals 2022, 287 , 117088. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.synthmet.2022.117088
- Seyeong Song, Hye Won Cho, Jaeki Jeong, Yung Jin Yoon, Song Yi Park, Suhee Song, Byung Hoon Woo, Young Chul Jun, Bright Walker, Jin Young Kim. Dichroic Sb
Electrodes for Colorful Semitransparent Organic Solar Cells. Solar RRL 2020, 4
- Hwa Sook Ryu, Song Yi Park, Tack Ho Lee, Jin Young Kim, Han Young Woo. Recent progress in indoor organic photovoltaics. Nanoscale 2020, 12
, 5792-5804. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0NR00816H
- Azmat Ali, Ju Hwan Kang, Jung Hwa Seo, Bright Walker. Effect of Plasmonic Ag Nanoparticles on the Performance of Inverted Perovskite Solar Cells. Advanced Engineering Materials 2020, 22
- Huan Pang, Xiaoyu Cao, Limin Zhu, Mingbo Zheng. Synthesis of Quantum Dots. 2020, 13-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-7372-5_2
- Junais Habeeb Mokkath. Optical properties of pyridine adsorbed polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons using quantum chemical calculations. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2019, 21
, 448-454. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8CP06744A
- Song Yi Park, Seyeong Song, Yung Jin Yoon, Tack Ho Lee, Na Gyeong An, Bright Walker, Jin Young Kim. Non-halogenated diphenyl-chalcogenide solvent processing additives for high-performance polymer bulk-heterojunction solar cells. RSC Advances 2018, 8
, 39777-39783. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8RA08317G
- Shenghua Liu, Yidong Hou, Wei Xie, Sebastian Schlücker, Feng Yan, Dang Yuan Lei. Quantitative Determination of Contribution by Enhanced Local Electric Field, Antenna‐Amplified Light Scattering, and Surface Energy Transfer to the Performance of Plasmonic Organic Solar Cells. Small 2018, 14