Surface Modification of Bismuth by ALD of Antimony Oxide for Suppressing Lattice Thermal Conductivity
- Shiyang HeShiyang HeInstitute for Metallic Materials, Leibniz Institute of Solid State and Materials Science, Dresden 01069, GermanyInstitute of Materials Science, Technische Universität Dresden, Dresden 01062, GermanyMore by Shiyang He
- Jun YangJun YangInstitute for Metallic Materials, Leibniz Institute of Solid State and Materials Science, Dresden 01069, GermanyInstitute of Materials Science, Technische Universität Dresden, Dresden 01062, GermanyMore by Jun Yang
- Amin Bahrami*
- Xiang ZhangXiang ZhangNational Center for International Joint Research of Micro-Nano Molding Technology, School of Mechanics and Safety Engineering, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou 450001, ChinaMore by Xiang Zhang
- Ran He
- Martin Hantusch
- Sebastian LehmannSebastian LehmannInstitute for Metallic Materials, Leibniz Institute of Solid State and Materials Science, Dresden 01069, GermanyMore by Sebastian Lehmann
- , and
- Kornelius Nielsch*
Surface modification may significantly improve the performance of thermoelectric materials by suppressing thermal conductivity. Using the powder atomic layer deposition method, the newly developed Sb2O5 thin films produced from SbCl5 and H2O2 were formed on the surfaces of Bi powders. Because of the high thermal resistance generated by Sb2O5 layers on Bi particles, a substantial decrease in κtot from 7.8 to 5.7 W m–1 K–1 was obtained with just 5 cycles of Sb2O5 layer deposition and a 16% reduction in κlat. Because of the strong phonon scattering, the maximum zT values increased by around 12% and were relocated to 423 K.
This article is cited by 4 publications.
- Seunghyeok Lee, Sung-Jin Jung, Gwang Min Park, Junpyo Hong, Albert S. Lee, Seung-Hyub Baek, Heesuk Kim, Tae Joo Park, Jin-Sang Kim, Seong Keun Kim. Grain boundary engineering strategy for simultaneously reducing the electron concentration and lattice thermal conductivity in n-type Bi2Te2.7Se0.3-based thermoelectric materials. Journal of the European Ceramic Society 2023, 43 (8) , 3376-3382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2023.02.017
- Sebastian Lehmann, Fanny Mitzscherling, Shiyang He, Jun Yang, Martin Hantusch, Kornelius Nielsch, Amin Bahrami. Water-Free SbOx ALD Process for Coating Bi2Te3 Particles. Coatings 2023, 13 (3) , 641. https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings13030641
- Seunghyeok Lee, Sung‐Jin Jung, Gwang Min Park, Min Young Na, Kwang‐Chon Kim, Junpyo Hong, Albert S. Lee, Seung‐Hyub Baek, Heesuk Kim, Tae Joo Park, Jin‐Sang Kim, Seong Keun Kim. Selective Dissolution‐Derived Nanoporous Design of Impurity‐Free Bi 2 Te 3 Alloys with High Thermoelectric Performance. Small 2023, 7 , 2205202. https://doi.org/10.1002/smll.202205202
- Shiyang He, Amin Bahrami, Pingjun Ying, Lars Giebeler, Xiang Zhang, Kornelius Nielsch, Ran He. Improving the thermoelectric performance of ZrNi(In,Sb)-based double half-Heusler compounds. Journal of Materials Chemistry A 2022, 10 (25) , 13476-13483. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2TA02413F