Drawing-Based Manufacturing of Shear-Activated Reversible Adhesives
- Jae-Kang KimJae-Kang KimGeorge W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, United StatesMore by Jae-Kang Kim
- Michael Varenberg*
Although biomimetic technologies for dry reversible adhesion seem to be maturing, the costs, complexity, and time expenditures associated with the current template-based molding techniques call for research on other fabrication methods. In this paper, we report a novel cost-effective, simple, and flexible drawing-based technique for manufacturing the soft elastomeric thin-film-based microstructures needed for successful implementation of the principles of biological shear-activated adhesion. Several different types of adhesive microstructures are fabricated, and the best of them demonstrate shear-driven amplification of pull-off force by a factor of 40, which significantly outperforms known molded analogues. A simple gripper based on a manual center-clamping vise is shown to enable pick-and-place manipulation of various flat and curved objects of everyday use.
This article is cited by 8 publications.
- Jae-Kang Kim, Michael Varenberg. Polyurethane Shear-Activated Adhesives: Effect of Counterface Chemistry. ACS Applied Polymer Materials 2020, 2 (7) , 2994-3000. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsapm.0c00454
- Jihun Lee, Hongyun So. Aphid‐Inspired and Thermally‐Actuated Soft Gripper Using 3D Printing Technology. Macromolecular Rapid Communications 2023, 24 https://doi.org/10.1002/marc.202300352
- Jae‐Kang Kim, Nagaraj Krishna‐Subbaiah, Yingdan Wu, Jongkuk Ko, Anitha Shiva, Metin Sitti. Enhanced Flexible Mold Lifetime for Roll‐to‐Roll Scaled‐Up Manufacturing of Adhesive Complex Microstructures. Advanced Materials 2023, 35 (2) , 2207257. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.202207257
- Chohei Pang, Kinwing Mak, Yu Alexander Tse, Hongyu Yu, Michael Yu Wang. Scalable Fabrication of Bioinspired Controllable Dry Adhesive by Roll‐to‐Roll Slitting. Advanced Engineering Materials 2022, 24 (11) https://doi.org/10.1002/adem.202200377
- Mingtao Chen, Yue Wu, Baohong Chen, Alexander M. Tucker, Anand Jagota, Shu Yang. Fast, strong, and reversible adhesives with dynamic covalent bonds for potential use in wound dressing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2022, 119 (29) https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2203074119
- Bo Peng, Qing-Ao Wang, Xi-Qiao Feng, Qunyang Li. Switchable adhesion with a high tuning ratio achieved on polymer surfaces with embedded low-melting-point alloy. Extreme Mechanics Letters 2021, 49 , 101488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eml.2021.101488
- Jae-Kang Kim, Michael Varenberg. Amplification factor in shear-activated adhesives: effect of elasticity. Soft Matter 2021, 17 (40) , 9087-9093. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1SM00760B
- Vahid Alizadehyazdi, Michael Bonthron, Matthew Spenko. Optimizing electrostatic cleaning for dust removal on gecko-inspired adhesives. Journal of Electrostatics 2020, 108 , 103499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2020.103499