Enhanced Optical Manipulation of Cells Using Antireflection Coated Microparticles
We demonstrate the use of antireflection (AR) coated microparticles for the enhanced optical manipulation of cells. Specifically, we incubate CHO-K1, HL60, and NMuMG cell lines with AR-coated titania microparticles and subsequently performed drag force measurements using optical trapping. Direct comparisons were performed between native, polystyrene microparticle and AR microparticle tagged cells. The optical trapping efficiency was recorded by measuring the Q value in a drag force experiment. CHO-K1 cells incubated with AR microparticles show an increase in the Q value of nearly 220% versus native cells. With the inclusion of AR microparticles, cell velocities exceeding 50 μm/s were recorded for only 33 mW of laser trapping power. Cell viability was confirmed with fluorescent dyes and cells expressing a fluorescent ubiquitination-based cell cycle protein (FUCCI), which verified no disruption to the cell cycle in the presence of AR microparticles.
This article is cited by 8 publications.
- Qiang Sun, Kishan Dholakia, Andrew D. Greentree. Optical Forces and Torques on Eccentric Nanoscale Core–Shell Particles. ACS Photonics 2021, 8 (4) , 1103-1111. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsphotonics.0c01825
- Seungkyu Ha, Ying Tang, Maarten M. van Oene, Richard Janissen, Roland M. Dries, Belen Solano, Aurèle J. L. Adam, Nynke H. Dekker. Single-Crystal Rutile TiO2 Nanocylinders are Highly Effective Transducers of Optical Force and Torque. ACS Photonics 2019, 6 (5) , 1255-1265. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsphotonics.9b00220
- Susan E. Skelton Spesyvtseva and Kishan Dholakia . Trapping in a Material World. ACS Photonics 2016, 3 (5) , 719-736. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsphotonics.6b00023
- R Ali, R S Dutra, F A Pinheiro, P A Maia Neto. Gain-assisted optical tweezing of plasmonic and large refractive index microspheres. Journal of Optics 2021, 23 (11) , 115004. https://doi.org/10.1088/2040-8986/ac228f
- Neng Wang, Xiao Li, Jun Chen, Zhifang Lin, Jack Ng. Gradient and scattering forces of anti-reflection-coated spheres in an aplanatic beam. Scientific Reports 2018, 8 (1) https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-35575-1
- Juan Carlos Cordova, Dana N. Reinemann, Daniel J. Laky, William R. Hesse, Sophie K. Tushak, Zane L. Weltman, Kelsea B. Best, Rizia Bardhan, Matthew J. Lang. Bioconjugated Core–Shell Microparticles for High‐Force Optical Trapping. Particle & Particle Systems Characterization 2018, 35 (3) https://doi.org/10.1002/ppsc.201700448
- Anita Jannasch, Mohammad K. Abdosamadi, Avin Ramaiya, Suman De, Valentina Ferro, Aaron Sonnberger, Erik Schäffer. Custom-Made Microspheres for Optical Tweezers. 2017, 137-155. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-6421-5_6
- , , Valentina Ferro, Aaron Sonnberger, Mohammad K. Abdosamadi, Craig McDonald, Erik Schäffer, David McGloin. Improved antireflection coated microspheres for biological applications of optical tweezers. 2016, 99222T. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2239025