Solid-State Dilution of Dihydroxybenzophenones with 4,13-Diaza-18-crown-6 for Photocrystallographic Studies
This work forms part of the ongoing drive toward identifying and developing suitable light sensitive substances for photocrystallographic studies. In order to investigate the solid-state dilution of the photoactive dihydroxybenzophenone, X-ray crystal structures of three dihydroxybenzophenone·4,13-diaza-18-crown-6 co-crystals are reported and analyzed. The dihydroxybenzophenone molecules within the co-crystal are compared to those observed in homomolecular dihydroxybenzophenone crystals in terms of their intermolecular contacts, bond geometry and conformation. Molecular volumes and void spaces were calculated using Voronoi–Dirichlet polyhedra and Hirshfeld surface-based space partitioning, demonstrating new ways to represent potential reaction cavities around a photoactive molecule and calculate their packing efficiency. In each case the conditions of solid-state dilution were met. The molecular conformations of the homomolecular environments are retained to varying degrees in the analogous co-crystals. Results show that the co-crystals studied are potentially suitable for photocrystallography. In particular, 2,4-dihydroxybenzophenone molecules in 4,13-diaza-18-crown-6·2(2,4-dihydroxybenzophenone) co-crystals exhibit high structural similarity to their homomolecular analogues suggesting its photochemical properties could be common to both environments.
This article is cited by 10 publications.
- Lei Zhang, Jacqueline M. Cole, and Xiaogang Liu . Tuning Solvatochromism of Azo Dyes with Intramolecular Hydrogen Bonding in Solution and on Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2013, 117 (49) , 26316-26323. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp4088783
- Jacqueline M. Cole, Paul G. Waddell, Chick C. Wilson, and Judith A. K. Howard . Molecular and Supramolecular Origins of Optical Nonlinearity in N-Methylurea. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2013, 117 (48) , 25669-25676. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp4088699
- Lei Zhang, Jacqueline M. Cole, Paul G. Waddell, Kian S. Low, and Xiaogang Liu . Relating Electron Donor and Carboxylic Acid Anchoring Substitution Effects in Azo Dyes to Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell Performance. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 2013, 1 (11) , 1440-1452. https://doi.org/10.1021/sc400183t
- Jacqueline M. Cole, Katharine F. Bowes, Ian P. Clark, Kian Sing Low, Anita Zeidler, Anthony W. Parker, Inamur R. Laskar, and Teng-Ming Chen . Material Profiling for Photocrystallography: Relating Single-Crystal Photophysical and Structural Properties of Luminescent Bis-Cyclometalated Iridium-Based Complexes. Crystal Growth & Design 2013, 13 (5) , 1826-1837. https://doi.org/10.1021/cg301386s
- Evgeniya P. Doronina, Valery F. Sidorkin, Elena F. Belogolova, Viatcheslav Jouikov. Hypervalent benzophenones. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 2018, 858 , 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jorganchem.2018.01.024
- Lei Zhang, Jingfa Li. Terahertz investigations on photoisomerisable compounds. Molecular Physics 2017, 115 (20) , 2486-2494. https://doi.org/10.1080/00268976.2017.1329560
- Cristiane Batista Gonçalves, Maria Vanda Marinho, Danielle Ferreira Dias, Marcelo Henrique Dos Santos, Felipe Terra Martins, Antônio Carlos Doriguetto. Synthesis, characterization, and structural determination of copper(II) complexes with alkyl derivatives of hydroxybenzophenones. Journal of Coordination Chemistry 2017, 70 (5) , 898-913. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958972.2017.1280783
- Alexandros A. Kitos, Constantina Papatriantafyllopoulou, Anastasios J. Tasiopoulos, Spyros P. Perlepes, Albert Escuer, Vassilios Nastopoulos. Binding of ligands containing carbonyl and phenol groups to iron( iii ): new Fe 6 , Fe 10 and Fe 12 coordination clusters. Dalton Trans. 2017, 46 (10) , 3240-3251. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6DT04830G
- Lei Zhang, Jacqueline M. Cole. Can nitro groups really anchor onto TiO 2 ? Case study of dye-to-TiO 2 adsorption using azo dyes with NO 2 substituents. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2016, 18 (28) , 19062-19069. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6CP02294D
- Rong Guo, Wei Wang, Weiping Yang, Yuanyin Chen, Shuling Gong. Exocyclic self-assembly behavior of carboxylic acid and lariat ether macrocyclic hosts: regulation by pendent arm. RSC Advances 2015, 5 (84) , 68864-68874. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5RA09521B