At a time when the demand for people with expertise in chemoinformatics is increasing, there is still only a very small number of academic institutions that offer chemoinformatics-related classes and degrees. The distance education (DE) approach allows both learning and research to be carried out at multiple geographic locations and institutions, thus leveraging the few educational offerings that are available. In this paper, distance education techniques and technologies (with emphasis on videoconferencing) are reviewed, and examples of how they are used to increase the accessibility of chemoinformatics education and research at the Indiana University School of Informatics are presented.
This article is cited by 12 publications.
- Sunghwan Kim, Ehren C. Bucholtz, Kristin Briney, Andrew P. Cornell, Jordi Cuadros, Kristen D. Fulfer, Tanya Gupta, Evan Hepler-Smith, Dean H. Johnston, Andrew S.I.D. Lang, Delmar Larsen, Ye Li, Leah R. McEwen, Layne A. Morsch, Jennifer L. Muzyka, Robert E. Belford. Teaching Cheminformatics through a Collaborative Intercollegiate Online Chemistry Course (OLCC). Journal of Chemical Education 2021, 98 (2) , 416-425. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.0c01035
- Jiří Jirát, Petr Čech, Jiří Znamenáček, Miroslav Šimek, Ctibor Škuta, Tomáš Vaněk, Eva Dibuszová, Miloslav Nič, and Daniel Svozil . Developing and Implementing a Combined Chemistry and Informatics Curriculum for Undergraduate and Graduate Students in the Czech Republic. Journal of Chemical Education 2013, 90 (3) , 315-319. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed3001446
- Ana-Paula Correia, Chenxi Liu, Fan Xu. Evaluating videoconferencing systems for the quality of the educational experience. Distance Education 2020, 41 (4) , 429-452. https://doi.org/10.1080/01587919.2020.1821607
- Peter Willett. The Literature of Chemoinformatics: 1978–2018. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2020, 21 (15) , 5576. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21155576
- Uladzimir Slabin. TEACHING GENERAL CHEMISTRY WITH INSTRUCTOR’S SCREEN SHARING: STUDENTS’ OPINIONS ABOUT THE IDEA AND ITS IMPLEMENTATION. Journal of Baltic Science Education 2013, 12 (6) , 759-773. https://doi.org/10.33225/jbse/13.12.759
- David J Wild. Cheminformatics for the masses: a chance to increase educational opportunities for the next generation of cheminformaticians. Journal of Cheminformatics 2013, 5 (1) https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-2946-5-32
- Jeff E. Hoyt, Scott L. Howell, Steve Lindeman, Mel Smith. The Feasibility of Offering Videoconferencing Courses: Quality Issues and Lessons Learned. The Journal of Continuing Higher Education 2013, 61 (2) , 94-103. https://doi.org/10.1080/07377363.2013.796255
- Tobias Kind, Tim Leamy, Julie A Leary, Oliver Fiehn. Software platform virtualization in chemistry research and university teaching. Journal of Cheminformatics 2009, 1 (1) https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-2946-1-18
- Alessio G Morganti, Lino Pasquarelli, Francesco Deodato, Cinzia Digesù, Carlo Di Falco, Nicola Dinapoli, Gabriella Macchia, Vincenzo Picardi, Luca Tagliaferri, Vincenzo Valentini, Numa Cellini. Videoconferencing to Enhance the Integration between Clinical Medicine and Teaching: A Feasibility Study. Tumori Journal 2008, 94 (6) , 822-829. https://doi.org/10.1177/030089160809400608
- Grenville Peter Hadley, M. Mars. Postgraduate medical education in paediatric surgery: videoconferencing—a possible solution for Africa?. Pediatric Surgery International 2008, 24 (2) , 223-226. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-007-2085-5
- Gus R. Rosania, Gordon Crippen, Peter Woolf, David States, Kerby Shedden. A Cheminformatic Toolkit for Mining Biomedical Knowledge. Pharmaceutical Research 2007, 24 (10) , 1791-1802. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-007-9285-5
- Felicia A. Smith. The Pirate-Teacher. The Journal of Academic Librarianship 2007, 33 (2) , 276-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2007.02.002