Process Simulation and Validation of Chemical-Looping with Oxygen Uncoupling (CLOU) Process using Cu-Based Oxygen Carrier
Several experiments have demonstrated that the chemical-looping with oxygen uncoupling (CLOU) provides an effective technological pathway for high-efficiency low-cost carbon dioxide capture when particulate coal serves as the fuel. In this paper, complete process-level modeling of CLOU process is established in ASPEN Plus based on a series of detailed experiments. The heat content of fuel and air reactors and air/flue gas heat exchangers is carefully examined. It is shown that the established model provides results that are in excellent agreement with the experiments for the flue stream contents of both the reactors, oxygen carrier conversion kinetics, and the overall performance of the CLOU process. Four scaled-up cases are also carried out to investigate the influence of increase in the coal and oxygen carriers feeding. Additionally, three different types of coal as the solid fuel are also investigated to determine their effect on the CO2 concentration in the flue stream and on the overall energy performance.
This article is cited by 11 publications.
- Pengxing Yuan, Tuo Guo, Xin Pan, Xiude Hu, Jingjing Ma, Dunxin Xu, Zimiao Zhou, Qingjie Guo, Xintong Guo. Process optimization and thermodynamic analysis of autothermal coal chemical looping gasification industrial demonstration system. Fuel 2023, 334 , 126667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2022.126667
- Mayur D. Kevat, Tamal Banerjee. Intensification Insights from Chemical Looping Combustion Using Coal–Biomass Mixtures with Fe-Based Oxygen Carrier. Processes 2022, 10 (7) , 1242. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr10071242
- Yali Shao, Xudong Wang, Baosheng Jin. Numerical investigation of hydrodynamics and cluster characteristics in a chemical looping combustion system. Energy 2022, 244 , 123053. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2021.123053
- Xudong Wang, Yali Shao, Baosheng Jin. Thermodynamic evaluation and modelling of an auto-thermal hybrid system of chemical looping combustion and air separation for power generation coupling with CO2 cycles. Energy 2021, 236 , 121431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2021.121431
- F T H Sinaga, F H Napitupulu, T B Nur. Hydrogen Gas Production Simulation Utilizing Empty Fruit Bunch of Oil Palm Pyrolysis Unit by Steam Methane Reforming Process. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 2020, 1566 (1) , 012125. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1566/1/012125
- Ling Zhou, Kartik Deshpande, Xiao Zhang, Ramesh K. Agarwal. Process simulation of Chemical Looping Combustion using ASPEN plus for a mixture of biomass and coal with various oxygen carriers. Energy 2020, 195 , 116955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2020.116955
- Kartik Deshpande, Ramesh K. Agarwal, Ling Zhou, Xiao Zhang. Process Simulation of Chemical Looping Combustion for a Mixture of Biomass and Coal with Various Oxygen Carriers—Part II. 2020, 177-195. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-0410-5_12
- JoAnn S. Lighty, Zachary T. Reinking, Matthew A. Hamilton. Simulations for Scale‐Up of Chemical Looping with Oxygen Uncoupling ( CLOU ) Systems. 2018, 377-396. https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527809332.ch12
- Mayur D. Kevat, Tamal Banerjee. Process Simulation and Energy Analysis of Chemical Looping Combustion and Chemical Looping with Oxygen Uncoupling for Sawdust Biomass. Energy Technology 2018, 6 (7) , 1237-1247. https://doi.org/10.1002/ente.201700795
- Petteri Peltola, Jouni Ritvanen, Tero Tynjälä, Timo Hyppänen. Fuel reactor modelling in chemical looping with oxygen uncoupling process. Fuel 2015, 147 , 184-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.01.073
- Ramesh K. Agarwal, Subhodeep Banerjee, Xiao Zhang, Zheming Zhang, Ling Zhou. Process and Reactor Level Simulations of Coal-Direct Chemical-looping Combustion. 2014, 329-362. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-81-322-2211-8_14