Incorporation of Sulfide Ions into the Cadmium(II) Thiolate Cluster of Cicer arietinum Metallothionein2
The plant metallothionein2 from Cicer arietinum (chickpea), cic-MT2, is known to coordinate five divalent metal ions such as ZnII or CdII, which are arranged in a single metal thiolate cluster. When the ZnII form of the protein is titrated with CdII ions in the presence of sulfide ions, an increased CdII binding capacity and concomitant incorporation of sulfide ions into the cluster are observed. The exact stoichiometry of this novel cluster, its spectroscopic properties, and the significantly increased pH stability are analyzed with different techniques, including UV and circular dichroism spectroscopy and colorimetric assays. Limited proteolytic digestion provides information about the spacial arrangement of the cluster within the protein. Increasing the CdII scavenging properties of a metallothionein by additionally recruiting sulfide ions might be an economic and very efficient detoxification strategy for plants.
This article is cited by 5 publications.
- Alma Salim, Serge Chesnov, Eva Freisinger. Metallation pathway of a plant metallothionein: Cicer arietinum MT2. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 2020, 210 , 111157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2020.111157
- M. Tomas, M.A. Pagani, C.S. Andreo, M. Capdevila, S. Atrian, R. Bofill. Sunflower metallothionein family characterisation. Study of the Zn(II)- and Cd(II)-binding abilities of the HaMT1 and HaMT2 isoforms. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 2015, 148 , 35-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2015.02.016
- Jing-Xiang Su, Yan-Yu Shen, Feng Ren, Zheng-Fang Lv, Xue-Chan Li, Zhou-Jia Lin, Hsiu-Yi Chao. Dinuclear cadmium(II) thiolate complexes bearing urea groups: Synthesis, characterization, photophysical properties and anion binding studies. Inorganic Chemistry Communications 2015, 53 , 7-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inoche.2015.01.001
- Tamara Huber, Eva Freisinger. Sulfide ions as modulators of metal–thiolate cluster size in a plant metallothionein. Dalton Transactions 2013, 42 (24) , 8878. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3dt32438a
- Oksana I. Leszczyszyn, Hasan T. Imam, Claudia A. Blindauer. Diversity and distribution of plant metallothioneins: a review of structure, properties and functions. Metallomics 2013, 5 (9) , 1146. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3mt00072a