Solution 31P and 113Cd NMR Studies of Phosphine Adducts of Monomeric Cadmium (Bisphenoxide) Complexes and the Solid-State Structures of (2,6-Di-tert-butylphenoxide)2Cd(PCy3) and (2,6-Di-tert-butylphenoxide)2Cd(PMe3)2†
Monomeric phosphine derivatives of cadmium phenoxides, (phenoxide)2CdLn, where the phenoxide ligands contain sterically demanding substituents in the 2,6-positions (2,6-di-tert-butylphenoxide and 2,6-diphenylphenoxide) are described. These derivatives were synthesized from the reaction of Cd[N(SiMe3)2]2 and the corresponding phenol followed by the addition of the phosphine. For the large PCy3 ligand (Tolman's cone angle (θ) = 170°) n = 1, whereas for the smaller Me3P (θ = 118°) and n-Bu3P (θ = 132°) ligands both mono- and bis(phosphine) derivatives (n = 1 and 2) were prepared. The (2,6-di-tert-butylphenoxide)2Cd(PCy3) and (2,6-di-tert-butylphenoxide)2Cd(PMe3)2 were characterized in the solid-state by X-ray crystallography. The structure of the monophosphine adduct of PCy3 consists of a near trigonal planar geometry about the cadmium center, where the average P−Cd−O angle of 131.4° is larger than the O−Cd−O angle of 96.72° with a Cd−P bond length of 2.5247(12) Å. On the other hand, the bis(phosphine) adduct, Cd(O-2,6-tBu2C6H3)2(PMe3)2 is a distorted tetrahedral structure with O−Cd−O and P−Cd−P bond angles of 116.7(6)° and 104.3(2)°, respectively. The average Cd−P bond length in this derivative was determined to be 2.737 Å. The monotricyclohexylphosphine derivatives of these cadmium bisphenoxides were shown by 31P NMR spectroscopy not to be undergoing facile exchange with free phosphine in solution at ambient temperature. On the contrary, the corresponding Me3P and n-Bu3P analogues readily undergo self-exchange with free phosphine in solution via a rapid equilibrium between monophosphine adduct plus free phosphine and the bis(phosphine) adduct. The 113Cd chemical shifts in the CdO2P moieties shift downfield and the 113Cd−31P coupling constants decrease by about 900 Hz upon binding an additional phosphine ligand.
Dedicated to Professor Dirk Walthers on the occasion of his 60th birthday.
To whom correspondence should be addressed.
This article is cited by 12 publications.
- Donald J. Darensbourg,, Jacob R. Wildeson,, Samuel J. Lewis, and, Jason C. Yarbrough. Solution and Solid-State Structural Studies of Epoxide Adducts of Cadmium Phenoxides. Chemistry Relevant to Epoxide Activation for Ring-Opening Reactions. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2002, 124 (24) , 7075-7083. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja020184c
- Donald J. Darensbourg,, Jacob R. Wildeson,, Jason C. Yarbrough, and, Robert E. Taylor. Tricyclohexylphosphine Derivatives of Bis(2,6-difluorophenoxide)cadmium: A Solution and Solid-State NMR Study. Inorganic Chemistry 2001, 40 (14) , 3639-3642. https://doi.org/10.1021/ic010104q
- Donald J. Darensbourg,, Jacob R. Wildeson,, Jason C. Yarbrough, and, Joseph H. Reibenspies. Bis 2,6-difluorophenoxide Dimeric Complexes of Zinc and Cadmium and Their Phosphine Adducts: Lessons Learned Relative to Carbon Dioxide/Cyclohexene Oxide Alternating Copolymerization Processes Catalyzed by Zinc Phenoxides. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2000, 122 (50) , 12487-12496. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja002855h
- Donald J. Darensbourg,, Marc S. Zimmer,, Patrick Rainey, and, David L. Larkins. Solution and Solid-State Structures of Phosphine Adducts of Monomeric Zinc Bisphenoxide Complexes. Importance of These Derivatives in CO2/Epoxide Copolymerization Processes. Inorganic Chemistry 2000, 39 (7) , 1578-1585. https://doi.org/10.1021/ic990594a
- Yeongho Choi, Donghyo Hahm, Wan Ki Bae, Jaehoon Lim. Heteroepitaxial chemistry of zinc chalcogenides on InP nanocrystals for defect-free interfaces with atomic uniformity. Nature Communications 2023, 14 (1) https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-022-35731-2
- Yu. V. Kokunov, V. V. Kovalev, Yu. E. Gorbunova, A. V. Churakov, S. A. Kozyukhin. Molecular Complex of Cadmium(II) Trifluoroacetate with Triphenylphosphine: Crystal Structure and Luminescence Properties. Russian Journal of Coordination Chemistry 2019, 45 (7) , 473-477. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070328419070042
- Elliot S. Borren, Christopher M. Fitchett, J. Robin Fulton. (β‐Diketiminato)cadmium Bis(trimethylsilyl)amide: Facile Access to Low‐Coordinate Cadmium Complexes. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry 2016, 2016 (18) , 3024-3029. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejic.201600274
- Marco Borsari. Cadmium: Coordination Chemistry. 2014, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119951438.eibc2261
- Elizabeth MacDonald, Lauren Doyle, Saurabh S. Chitnis, Ulrike Werner-Zwanziger, Neil Burford, Andreas Decken. Me3P complexes of p-block Lewis acids SnCl4, SnCl3+ and SnCl22+. Chemical Communications 2012, 48 (64) , 7922. https://doi.org/10.1039/c2cc33206j
- Marco Borsari. Cadmium: Inorganic & Coordination Chemistry. 2005https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119951438.eibc0029
- Marco Borsari. Cadmium: Inorganic & Coordination Chemistry. 2005https://doi.org/10.1002/0470862106.ia030
- Almudena González‐Álvarez, Ignacio Alfonso, Fernando López‐Ortiz, Ángel Aguirre, Santiago García‐Granda, Vicente Gotor. Selective Host Amplification from a Dynamic Combinatorial Library of Oligoimines for the Syntheses of Different Optically Active Polyazamacrocycles. European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2004, 2004 (5) , 1117-1127. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejoc.200300628