A new apparatus has been constructed to measure vapor−liquid equilibria and saturated liquid densities of pure and mixed fluids. The density measurement is based on the buoyancy method using a single sinker and a magnetic suspension balance. The permanent magnet of the magnetic suspension balance carries the sinker with a load-coupling device. Both are completely submerged in the liquid phase. The electromagnet is placed outside the magnetically neutral cell walls. Both magnets transfer the buoyancy force of the sinker through the walls to a microbalance. The apparatus is limited to the temperature range from (−60 to 250) °C, pressures up to 200 bar, and densities in the range from (10 to 2000) kg·m-3. Here, the first tests have been done with pure fluids at temperatures from (−40 to 90) °C and pressures up to 60 bar. Measurements of the compressed liquid density of water and gas density of nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and R134a confirm the accuracy of the density measurement. Also, measurements of the vapor pressure and the saturated liquid density were made for carbon dioxide and R134a. The estimated uncertainties of the experimental data are ±0.02 K for the temperature, ±5.0 mbar for the pressure, and ±0.013% + 0.01 kg·m-3 for the density.
This article is cited by 11 publications.
- Tao Guo, Siyu Jiang, Yang-Xin Yu, Jiawen Hu. Molecular Dynamics Simulations and a Quintic Equation of State for Nitrogen in a Wide P–T Range, with Validation of a Reference Model up to Ultrahigh P–T Conditions. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 2022, 67 (9) , 2274-2291. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.2c00248
- Tao Yang, J. Ilja Siepmann, Jiangtao Wu. Phase Equilibria of Difluoromethane (R32), 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane (R134a), and trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoro-1-propene (R1234ze(E)) Probed by Experimental Measurements and Monte Carlo Simulations. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2021, 60 (1) , 739-752. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.0c05442
- Charithea Charalambous, Giulio Santori, Enrique Vilarrasa-Garcia, Moises Bastos-Neto, Célio L. Cavalcante, Jr., Stefano Brandani. Pure and Binary Adsorption of Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen on AQSOA FAM Z02. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 2018, 63 (3) , 661-670. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.7b00864
- Jian Yang, Dan Fang, Xianyang Meng, Jiangtao Wu. Experimental measurements and correlations of the vapor phase pvTx behavior of binary mixtures of 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane (R134a) + 2,3,3,3-tetrafluoroprop-1-ene (R1234yf). International Journal of Refrigeration 2021, 132 , 263-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2021.09.018
- Rodrigo Susial, Ángel Gómez-Hernández, Daniel Lozano-Martín, Dolores del Campo, M. Carmen Martín, José J. Segovia. A novel technique based in a cylindrical microwave resonator for high pressure phase equilibrium determination. The Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics 2019, 135 , 124-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jct.2019.03.027
- Haiyang Zhang, Bo Gao, Huiya Li, Yanxing Zhao, Wei Wu, Quan Zhong, Xueqiang Dong, YanYan Chen, Maoqiong Gong, Ercang Luo. Saturated liquid density equation for pure refrigerants including CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs, HCs, HFOs, HFEs, PFAs and ISs based on the scaling law and the law of rectilinear diameter. International Journal of Refrigeration 2018, 87 , 65-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2017.10.021
- Guoqiang Du, Jiawen Hu. An equation of state for accurate thermodynamic modeling of water and carbon dioxide from triple points to 647 K and 100–200 MPa. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 2016, 49 , 94-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.02.025
- Cory Silva, Lindsay Soh, Antonio Barberio, Julie Zimmerman, Warren D. Seider. Phase equilibria of triolein to biodiesel reactor systems. Fluid Phase Equilibria 2016, 409 , 171-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fluid.2015.09.049
- Qazi Nasir, Khalik M. Sabil, K.K. Lau. Measurement of isothermal (vapor + liquid) equilibria, (VLE) for binary (CH 4 + CO 2 ) from T = (240.35 to 293.15) K and CO 2 rich synthetic natural gas systems from T = (248.15 to 279.15) K. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 2015, 27 , 158-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2015.08.045
- Michela Mazzoccoli, Barbara Bosio, Elisabetta Arato. Analysis and Comparison of Equations-of-State with p-ρ-T Experimental Data for CO2 and CO2-Mixture Pipeline Transport. Energy Procedia 2012, 23 , 274-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2012.06.052
- José M.S. Fonseca, Ralf Dohrn, Stephanie Peper. High-pressure fluid-phase equilibria: Experimental methods and systems investigated (2005–2008). Fluid Phase Equilibria 2011, 300 (1-2) , 1-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fluid.2010.09.017