Can Agricultural Cultivation Methods Influence the Healthfulness of Crops for Foods?
The aim of the current study was to investigate if there are any health effects of long-term consumption of organically grown crops using a rat model. Crops were retrieved over two years from a long-term field trial at three different locations in Denmark, using three different cultivation systems (OA, organic based on livestock manure; OB, organic based on green manure; and C, conventional with mineral fertilizers and pesticides) with two field replicates. The cultivation system had an impact on the nutritional quality, affecting γ-tocopherol, some amino acids, and fatty acid composition. Additionally, the nutritional quality was affected by harvest year and location. However, harvest year and location rather than cultivation system affected the measured health biomarkers. In conclusion, the differences in dietary treatments composed of ingredients from different cultivation systems did not lead to significant differences in the measured health biomarkers, except for a significant difference in plasma IgG levels.
This article is cited by 5 publications.
- Maja Melballe Jensen, Ulrich Halekoh, Christopher R. Stokes, and Charlotte Lauridsen . Effect of Maternal Intake of Organically or Conventionally Produced Feed on Oral Tolerance Development in Offspring Rats. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61 (20) , 4831-4838. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf305454c
- Dominika Średnicka-Tober, Marcin Barański, Joanna Gromadzka-Ostrowska, Krystyna Skwarło-Sońta, Ewa Rembiałkowska, Jana Hajslova, Vera Schulzova, Ismail Çakmak, Levent Öztürk, Tomasz Królikowski, Katarzyna Wiśniewska, Ewelina Hallmann, Elżbieta Baca, Mick Eyre, Håvard Steinshamn, Teresa Jordon, and Carlo Leifert . Effect of Crop Protection and Fertilization Regimes Used in Organic and Conventional Production Systems on Feed Composition and Physiological Parameters in Rats. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61 (5) , 1017-1029. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf303978n
- Axel Mie, Helle Raun Andersen, Stefan Gunnarsson, Johannes Kahl, Emmanuelle Kesse-Guyot, Ewa Rembiałkowska, Gianluca Quaglio, Philippe Grandjean. Human health implications of organic food and organic agriculture: a comprehensive review. Environmental Health 2017, 16 (1) https://doi.org/10.1186/s12940-017-0315-4
- L. Guéguen, G. Pascal. Organic Foods☆. 2016,,https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-801238-3.99501-1
- Eva Johansson, Abrar Hussain, Ramune Kuktaite, Staffan Andersson, Marie Olsson. Contribution of Organically Grown Crops to Human Health. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2014, 11 (4) , 3870-3893. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph110403870