Swelling Dynamics of Collapsed Polymers
We study different regimes in the dynamics of swelling of a long polymer chain from a compact globule. Depending on the age or degree of self-entanglement inside of the globule, we consider the limiting cases of “freshly formed” globule and “old” globule. Considering the density of polymer in a globule, which influences the mobility of solvent inside of the globule, we also distinguish “wet” and “dry” initial configurations. For each of these regimes, we discuss the leading dissipation mechanism governing the dynamics of swelling. Our theoretical predictions are nicely corroborated by large-scale molecular dynamics simulations.
In papers with more than one author, the asterisk indicates the name of the author to whom inquiries about the paper should be addressed.
Institut Charles Sadron.
Max-Planck-Institut für Polymerforschung.
University of Florida.
This article is cited by 15 publications.
- Siddhartha Varma, Lionel Bureau, and Delphine Débarre . The Conformation of Thermoresponsive Polymer Brushes Probed by Optical Reflectivity. Langmuir 2016, 32 (13) , 3152-3163. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.6b00138
- Gina-Gabriela Bumbu,, Markus Wolkenhauer,, Gunnar Kircher,, Jochen S. Gutmann, and, Rüdiger Berger. Micromechanical Cantilever Technique: A Tool for Investigating the Swelling of Polymer Brushes. Langmuir 2007, 23 (4) , 2203-2207. https://doi.org/10.1021/la062137u
- Sergey Panyukov, , Michael Rubinstein. Explanation of Anomalous Scaling of Swollen Entangled Chains. Macromolecules 2005, 38 (8) , 3511-3514. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma047860a
- Seowon Kim, Nam-Kyung Lee, Min-Kyung Chae, Albert Johner, Jeong-Man Park. Translocation of Hydrophobic Polyelectrolytes under Electrical Field: Molecular Dynamics Study. Polymers 2023, 15 (11) , 2550. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym15112550
- Chia-Cheng Chu, Pai-Yi Hsiao. Expansion of Single Chains Released from a Spherical Cavity. Polymers 2023, 15 (1) , 198. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym15010198
- Mitsuo Nakata, Yoshiki Nakamura, Yasuyuki Maki, Toshiaki Dobashi. Chain expansion process from knotted globule. Polymer 2019, 178 , 121541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2019.06.007
- Zi Liang, Bao Wang, Xiaoli Liu, Zhiying Li, Fengqi Liu. Swelling behavior of hydrophobic association hydrogels prepared from octylphenol polyoxyethylene (7) acrylate and sodium dodecylsulfate. European Polymer Journal 2019, 114 , 189-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2019.02.025
- Nam-Kyung Lee. Dynamics and Kinetics of Polymers and Biopolymers. Journal of the Korean Physical Society 2018, 73 (4) , 488-503. https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.73.488
- C. Benjamin Renner, Patrick S. Doyle. Stretching self-entangled DNA molecules in elongational fields. Soft Matter 2015, 11 (16) , 3105-3114. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4SM02738H
- Yasuyuki Maki. Chain collapse and aggregation in dilute solutions of poly(methyl methacrylate) below the theta temperature. Polymer Journal 2014, 46 (10) , 641-645. https://doi.org/10.1038/pj.2014.39
- Mitsuo Nakata, Yoshiki Nakamura, Naoki Sasaki, Yasuyuki Maki. Slow knot formation by suppressed self-reptation in a collapsed polymer chain. Physical Review E 2012, 85 (2) https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.85.021802
- Jing Tang, Ning Du, Patrick S. Doyle. Compression and self-entanglement of single DNA molecules under uniform electric field. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2011, 108 (39) , 16153-16158. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1105547108
- Natsuhiko Yoshinaga. Folding and unfolding kinetics of a single semiflexible polymer. Physical Review E 2008, 77 (6) https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.77.061805
- Marc L. Mansfield. Development of knotting during the collapse transition of polymers. The Journal of Chemical Physics 2007, 127 (24) https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2806929
- Tilo Pompe, Lars Renner, Milauscha Grimmer, Nicole Herold, Carsten Werner. Functional Films of Maleic Anhydride Copolymers under Physiological Conditions. Macromolecular Bioscience 2005, 5 (9) , 890-895. https://doi.org/10.1002/mabi.200500097