Extracting Structural Information of a Heteropolymer from Force−Extension Curves
We present a theory for the reverse analysis on the sequence information on a single H/P two-letter random heteropolymer (RHP) from its force−extension (f−z) curves during quasi static stretching. Upon stretching of a self-assembled RHP, it undergoes several structural transitions. The typical elastic response of a heteropolymeric globule is a set of overlapping saw-tooth patterns. With consideration of the height and the position of the overlapping saw-tooth shape, we analyze the possibility of extracting the binding energies of the internal domains and the corresponding block sizes of the contributing conformations.
This article is cited by 7 publications.
- Min-Kyung Chae, Nam-Kyung Lee, Albert Johner, Jeong-Man Park. The Measurement of Information and Free Energy in Mechanical-Force-Driven Coil–Globule Transitions. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2021, 125 (19) , 4987-4997. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.1c01119
- Alexey A. Polotsky, Tatiana M. Birshtein, Anna A. Mercurieva, Frans A. M. Leermakers, Oleg V. Borisov. Unfolding of a comb-like polymer in a poor solvent: translation of macromolecular architecture in the force–deformation spectra. Soft Matter 2017, 13 (48) , 9147-9161. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7SM01589E
- Dmitrii E. Makarov. A Theoretical Model for the Mechanical Unfolding of Repeat Proteins. Biophysical Journal 2009, 96 (6) , 2160-2167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2008.12.3899
- Martin A.K. Williams, Aaron Marshall, Richard G. Haverkamp, Kurt I. Draget. Stretching single polysaccharide molecules using AFM: A potential method for the investigation of the intermolecular uronate distribution of alginate?. Food Hydrocolloids 2008, 22 (1) , 18-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2007.01.020
- N. -K. Lee, A. Johner, S. -C. Hong. Compressing a rigid filament: Buckling and cyclization. The European Physical Journal E 2007, 24 (3) , 229-241. https://doi.org/10.1140/epje/i2007-10230-4
- Martina Zemanová, Tomáš Bleha. Isometric and Isotensional Force-Length Profiles in Polymethylene Chains. Macromolecular Theory and Simulations 2005, 14 (9) , 596-604. https://doi.org/10.1002/mats.200500046
- Elena Jarkova, Thijs J. H. Vlugt, Nam-Kyung Lee. Stretching a heteropolymer. The Journal of Chemical Physics 2005, 122 (11) , 114904. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1874853