Propanediurea-Based Molecular Clips Bind Halide Anions: An Insight into the Mechanism of Cucurbituril Formation
The synthesis and supramolecular properties of the first methylene-bridged propanediurea-based dimers are described. These dimers, bearing an aromatic sidewall, have the shape of molecular clips. Unlike glycoluril-based dimers, these clips neither dimerize nor accept any organic guests, due to their small cavities. Both propanediurea- and glycoluril-based dimers bind halide anions on the convex side of the molecules, even in highly polar organic solvents. This observation brings new insights into the mechanism of cucurbituril formation.
This article is cited by 6 publications.
- Steve Scheiner . Assembly of Effective Halide Receptors from Components. Comparing Hydrogen, Halogen, and Tetrel Bonds. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2017, 121 (18) , 3606-3615. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpca.7b02305
- Weijian Xue, Huiqian Li, Xiangyu Ling, Ying Zhang, Yang Liu, Bing Zhao, Yanbing Yin, Xiangfeng Guo. Self‐Assembly of Water‐Soluble Glycoluril Molecular Clips Driven by Naphthalene‐Naphthalene Interaction. ChemistrySelect 2023, 8 (35) https://doi.org/10.1002/slct.202302271
- Dennis Larsen, Sophie R. Beeren. Tuning the Outcome of Enzyme‐Mediated Dynamic Cyclodextrin Libraries to Enhance Template Effects. Chemistry – A European Journal 2020, 26 (48) , 11032-11038. https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.202001076
- Philip A. Gale, Ethan N.W. Howe, Xin Wu, Michael J. Spooner. Anion receptor chemistry: Highlights from 2016. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 2018, 375 , 333-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2018.02.005
- Sandra Kaabel, Riina Aav. Templating Effects in the Dynamic Chemistry of Cucurbiturils and Hemicucurbiturils. Israel Journal of Chemistry 2018, 58 (3-4) , 296-313. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijch.201700106
- Katharina Gratzer, Vincent Diemer, Jonathan Clayden. Signal transduction in oligoamide foldamers by selective non-covalent binding of chiral phosphates at a urea binding site. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 2017, 15 (17) , 3585-3589. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7OB00660H