Enhancing Photostability of Fluorescent Dye-Attached Molecular Machines at Air–Glass Interface Using Cyclooctatetraene
- Tao JinTao JinDepartment of Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-8204, United StatesMore by Tao Jin
- Víctor García-LópezVíctor García-LópezDepartment of Chemistry, Department of Materials Science and Nanoengineering, Smalley Curl Institute and NanoCarbon Center, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, United StatesMore by Víctor García-López
- Pinn-Tsong ChiangPinn-Tsong ChiangDepartment of Chemistry, Department of Materials Science and Nanoengineering, Smalley Curl Institute and NanoCarbon Center, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, United StatesMore by Pinn-Tsong Chiang
- Shunsuke KuwaharaShunsuke KuwaharaDepartment of Chemistry, Department of Materials Science and Nanoengineering, Smalley Curl Institute and NanoCarbon Center, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, United StatesDepartment of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Toho University, Funabashi, Chiba 274-8510, JapanMore by Shunsuke Kuwahara
- James M. Tour*James M. Tour*E-mail: [email protected] (J.M.T.).Department of Chemistry, Department of Materials Science and Nanoengineering, Smalley Curl Institute and NanoCarbon Center, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, United StatesMore by James M. Tour
- , and
- Gufeng Wang*Gufeng Wang*E-mail: [email protected]. Phone: (919) 515-1819 (G.W.).Department of Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-8204, United StatesMore by Gufeng Wang
Single-molecule fluorescence microscopy at an air–solid interface severely suffers from photobleaching. In this study, we evaluated using a triplet-state quencher cyclooctatetraene (COT) group to enhance the photostability of cy5-attached molecular machines. For single-dye-modified nanocars, the photobleaching lifetime of the dye was extended by 2.1 times after the attachment of the COT group. For two-COT-two-dye-attached unimolecular submersible nanomachine (USN) molecules, both one-step and two-step photobleaching of the dyes were observed, similar to those cy5-USNs without COT protection. The fraction of one-step photobleaching events was nearly a constant under different laser powers, indicating that one-step photobleaching is a single-photon process and that the product of the first photobleaching event destroys the second dye. The COT-cy5-USNs showed a larger fraction of two-step photobleaching events as compared to cy5-USNs, indicating that the COT group provides further protection for the second dye from the oxidative product generated in the first dye photobleaching process. Overall, the protected, doubly labeled COT-cy5-USN molecules have a total photobleaching lifetime extended by 2.4 times over unprotected cy5-USN molecules or by 3.3 times over unprotected, single cy5-labeled molecules. This study shows the potentials and the limits of using triplet quencher COT to protect fluorescent dyes at the air–glass interface.
This article is cited by 5 publications.
- Víctor García-López, Dongdong Liu, James M. Tour. Light-Activated Organic Molecular Motors and Their Applications. Chemical Reviews 2020, 120 (1) , 79-124. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.9b00221
- Seyedeh Mahsa Mofidi, Hossein Nejat Pishkenari, Mohammad Reza Ejtehadi, Alexey V. Akimov. Role of Graphene Surface Ripples and Thermal Vibrations in Molecular Dynamics of C60. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2019, 123 (32) , 20026-20036. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b03947
- Anup Singhania, Sudeshna Kalita, Prerna Chettri, Subrata Ghosh. Accounts of applied molecular rotors and rotary motors: recent advances. Nanoscale Advances 2023, 1 https://doi.org/10.1039/D3NA00010A
- Mohammad Kianezhad, Mehrdad Youzi, Mehran Vaezi, Hossein Nejat Pishkenari. Rectilinear motion of carbon nanotube on gold surface. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 2022, 217 , 107026. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2021.107026
- Wanjun Gong, Pintu Das, Soham Samanta, Jia Xiong, Wenhui Pan, Zhenyu Gu, Jianguo Zhang, Junle Qu, Zhigang Yang. Redefining the photo-stability of common fluorophores with triplet state quenchers: mechanistic insights and recent updates. Chemical Communications 2019, 55 (60) , 8695-8704. https://doi.org/10.1039/C9CC02616A