New Quantum Chemical Parameter for the Substituent Effect in Benzene Based on Charge Flux
Charge distributions determining the electrostatic potential in monosubstituted benzenes are investigated. As a result, a new quantum chemical parameter for substituent effect, which would be useful in information coding (in terms of molecular electrostatic potential), is introduced. The curvature of charge distribution over the benzene clearly shows a good linear relationship with known experimental substituent constants, while the amount of charge transferred does not fully reflect the substituent effect. Because the curvature is a new and good quantum chemical parameter to describe the substituent effect, our results would be used as a strategy for design of new functional molecules such as molecular scale electronics using the electrostatic potential distributions.
To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail for Jin Yong Lee: [email protected]. E-mail for Byung Jin Mhin: mhin@ mail.paichai.ac.kr. E-mail for Kwang S. Kim: [email protected]. Fax for Kwang S. Kim: +82-54-279-8137.
Chonnam National University.
Pohang University of Science and Technology.
This article is cited by 11 publications.
- Woo Seong Kim,, Jongseob Kim,, Jong Keun Park,, Shaul Mukamel,, Soon Ki Rhee,, Yong Kook Choi, and, Jin Yong Lee. Stacking Effect of Polyfluorene on the Chemical Shift and Electron Transport. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2005, 109 (7) , 2686-2692. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp045808a
- Kwang S. Kim, P. Tarakeshwar, Han Myoung Lee. De Novo Design Theory: Nanomaterials and Molecular Devices. 2014, 1111-1120. https://doi.org/10.1081/E-ENN3-120024164
- Iman A. Gad El-karim. A DFT Analysis of the Molecular Structures of Nitrophenoxathiin Compounds. Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan 2013, 86 (7) , 829-838. https://doi.org/10.1246/bcsj.20120330
- Yu-Ma Chou, Wen-Hao Chen, Chao-Chung Liang. Substituent effects and photo-physical properties in polythiophene and its derivatives: A PBC-DFT study. Journal of Molecular Structure: THEOCHEM 2009, 894 (1-3) , 117-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theochem.2008.10.005
- L. B. Kochetova, M. V. Klyuev. Quantum-chemical interpretation of the effect of substitution in the benzene ring on the reactivity of monosubstituted benzenes. Russian Journal of General Chemistry 2008, 78 (7) , 1389-1392. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070363208070177
- Shihai Yan, Sang Joo Lee, Sunwoo Kang, Jin Yong Lee. Computational Approaches in Molecular Recognition, Self-assembly, Electron Transport, and Surface Chemistry. Supramolecular Chemistry 2007, 19 (4-5) , 229-241. https://doi.org/10.1080/10610270701261547
- Bahram Hemmateenejad, Mahmood Sanchooli. Substituent electronic descriptors for fast QSAR/QSPR. Journal of Chemometrics 2007, 21 (3-4) , 96-107. https://doi.org/10.1002/cem.1039
- CHANDAN KUMAR MONDAL, JIN YONG LEE. UNDERSTANDING OF MOLECULAR FUNCTIONS: COMPUTATIONAL APPROACHES. Journal of Theoretical and Computational Chemistry 2006, 05 (04) , 857-869. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219633606002660
- Josiah B. Barbour, Joel M. Karty. Resonance and field/inductive substituent effects on the gas-phase acidities ofpara-substituted phenols: a direct approach employing density functional theory. Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry 2005, 18 (3) , 210-216. https://doi.org/10.1002/poc.850
- P. Tarakeshwar, Dongwook Kim, Han Myoung Lee, Seung Bum Sun, Kwang S. Kim. Theoretical Approaches to the Design of Functional Nanomaterials. 2004, 119-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1380-7323(04)80019-0
- . From Gas Phase Clusters to Nanomaterials: An Overview of Theoretical Insights. Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society 2003, 757-762. https://doi.org/10.5012/bkcs.2003.24.6.757