We report the quantitative, nondestructive determination of the concentration profile of an organic molecule in a nanoporous polycrystalline zeolite molecular sieve membrane by step-scan IR photoacoustic experiments and analysis. A heterogeneous zeolite membrane model system was constructed by growing a zeolite MFI layer on a macroporous α-alumina substrate, followed by calcination to remove the organic tetrapropylammonium (TPA) structure-directing agent, and finally the growth of a second TPA-containing layer over the first. Step-scan photoacoustic spectroscopy is then used with a large range (10−500 Hz) of incident signal modulation frequencies to obtain a series of depth-dependent IR spectra. Deconvolution of these spectra and analysis of band intensities by the theory of photoacoustic signal generation allows for the determination of the TPA concentration profile. We briefly discuss the implications of this technique for understanding structure−property relationships in materials deposited as membranes for molecular sieving applications.
This article is cited by 5 publications.
- Jerome Canivet, Vladimir Lysenko, Jaakko Lehtinen, Alexandre Legrand, Florian M. Wisser, Elsje Alessandra Quadrelli, David Farrusseng. Sensitive Photoacoustic IR Spectroscopy for the Characterization of Amino/Azido Mixed-Linker Metal-Organic Frameworks. ChemPhysChem 2017, 18 (20) , 2855-2858. https://doi.org/10.1002/cphc.201700663
- BoBin Li, PuDun Zhang. Depth profiling of SBS/PET layered materials using step-scan phase modulation Fourier transform infrared photoacoustic spectroscopy and two-dimensional correlation analysis. Science China Chemistry 2010, 53 (5) , 1190-1194. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11426-010-0063-6
- . Dependence of Growth Temperature on MFI Zeolite Membrane Growth. Journal of the Korean Institute of Electrical and Electronic Material Engineers 2009,,, 355-359. https://doi.org/10.4313/JKEM.2009.22.4.355
- A.M. Greenstein, S. Graham, Y.C. Hudiono, S. Nair. Thermal Properties and Lattice Dynamics of Polycrystalline MFI Zeolite Films. Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering 2006, 10 (4) , 321-331. https://doi.org/10.1080/15567260601009171
- Weontae Oh, Sankar Nair. Spatially resolved in situ measurements of the transport of organic molecules in a polycrystalline nanoporous membrane. Applied Physics Letters 2005, 87 (15) , 151912. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2093918